Though we haven't even finished with November yet, a certain online magazine has asked me for a ballot of my favourite records of 2010 by today. They won't publish the results of their writer poll for a couple weeks, but I thought I'd share my list right now. Here's what I've dug so far this year the most.
1. Kemialliset Ystävät - Ullakkopalo
2. The Chap - Well Done Europe
3. Islaja - Keraaminen Pää
4. Shugo Tokumaru - Port Entropy
5. Sambassadeur - European
6. Minamo & Lawrence English - A Path Less Travelled
7. Hauschka - Foreign Landscapes
8. Yona - Pilvet Liikkuu, Minä En
9. Owen Pallett - Heartland
10. Northern Portrait - Criminal Art Lovers
Something from each of these will be on the forthcoming 2010 mixtape. Meanwhile, all the caveats about the utter subjectivity of these sorts of lists apply. Undoubtedly, there were at least a few really amazing records this year that I won't discover until next week, or 2011, or 2012, or never. That's life.
That said, that album by Kemialliset Ystävät (or "Chemical Friends") is a playful but meditative joy from start to finish. Follow that link, listen to the samples, order the CD, be happy.